At Vulcan, we value the unique backgrounds and experiences of each of our employees. We treat people fairly and with respect. We strive to maintain an environment that encourages our people to develop their talents, exercise creativity and achieve superior performance. We create an environment that leverages different styles, ideas and perspectives for efficiency, productivity and innovation.
- Since 2013, we have more than doubled the number of diverse Division and Corporate officers.
- 36% of our Board of Directors are diverse.
- 38% of our workforce is diverse.
Although Vulcan had always been mindful of diversity, equity and inclusion, in 2015, we escalated and formalized our efforts with the launch of our corporate Diversity and Inclusion Council. The Council developed a five-year strategy to continue strengthening diversity and inclusion through recruiting, training and dialogue at Vulcan. While we have made progress, we have more work to do. We believe that our continued investment in people and our strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion will help us attract, grow and retain the best talent possible.
Our efforts in 2019 included:
- Signing on to the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™ pledge to collectively take measurable action in advancing diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Launching The YARD, a program to forge long-term, strategic partnerships with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) funded through the Vulcan Foundation and company funds to recruit talented minority students for internships and trainee roles across our company.