Our continued investment in people and strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, will help us attract, grow and retain the best talent possible. Today 28 percent of Vulcan’s workforce is diverse, and we have a number of initiatives to continue building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We have more than doubled the number of diverse Division and Corporate officers since 2013. And we earned recognition in 2017 by 2020 Women on Boards for having 20 percent or more of our board seats held by women.
- Cultivating a diverse talent pipeline of next generation leaders through our operations/sales trainee program.
- Expanding the diversity of our workforce at middle management and higher levels.
- Increasing the number of female hires and promotions in senior leadership roles across the company.
- Developing a five-year strategy through our Diversity and Inclusion Council.
- Building partnerships with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to recruit talented minority students for internships and management training roles across the company.
We believe that learning is fundamental to every job and we encourage our people to expand and explore their capabilities for continued growth. Our industry-leading training and development programs encourage collaboration and enable people to innovate and flourish on the job and in the community.
- Providing employees with a Tuition Reimbursement Program which pays up to 100 percent of tuition costs based on academic performance.
- Encouraging personal and professional growth through our mentoring program which has graduated more than 1,906 employees.
- Preparing future senior-level leaders through our Leadership 2022 series in partnership with the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Offering mini MBA programs and other continuing education opportunities.
The result is strong employee engagement that puts Vulcan in the top 10 percent of more than 1,700 companies surveyed as part of McKinsey & Company’s Organizational Health Index. By cultivating a diverse and dynamic culture, we’re exponentially increasing the social, safety and environmental capabilities of our company, benefiting all of our stakeholders.