Rooted in strong leadership and training, we strive for a workplace that’s free of injuries and accidents. Vulcan’s comprehensive safety programs lead the industry. We prioritize a safe work culture in recruiting and hiring people who are as committed to safety as we are.
Our safety culture depends on teams and individuals committed to working together to create and maintain a workplace that’s free of hazards for everyone. We prevent accidents through ongoing training, innovation and:
- Actively engaging all employees.
- Thoroughly inspecting our facilities for hazards.
- Providing the proper tools and equipment to do the job safely.
- Reporting “near misses” to help teams learn from incidents that were almost accidents.
- Pairing tenured employees with new hires to share their institutional experience and knowledge of plant sites, equipment and situations.
- Deploying new technology in our mobile equipment and ready mix truck fleets.
With oversight from our Board of Directors and safety teams at the Corporate, Division and facility levels, our commitment to safety has resulted in a record that outperforms industry averages. In 2017, we achieved the best MSHA/OSHA safety record of our 60-year history, a world-class performance. Our 2018 safety performance was even better, with 0.92 lost-time injuries per 200,000 employee work hours.